Thursday, December 31, 2009

The strange invention of boredom



In the general open house of the holiday season I was visited by a dear friend and her daughter. As always our home had numerous books scattered around. Looking at them the daughter said, "You know, I have never read a book except when told to do so at school." Then her mother said, "Neither have I". I am now going to misquote something I half caught on the TV recently making it my own. "Humans are amazingly inventive. In a world full of magic, mystery and wonder they managed to invent boredom."

Goddess has given us so much, the gift of life itself, an appreciation of beauty, music and dance, love and friendship. But above all a world shot through with beauty, magic, mystery and wonder. The world is so full of these things that you could contemplate a single flower for months and be no where near understanding its beauty. In such a world it should be impossible to be bored. There is just so much mystery and beauty and if the natural occurrence of these things is not enough then so much of them have been distilled into books just waiting to be opened and read. We are human precisely because we tell stories and in telling stories touch the divine.

At the end of the year I give thanks for the delights of life, love, friends, family and work. May 2010 be open to beauty, magic, mystery and wonder.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aquila ka Hecate said...

Yes. Hope 2010 is good to you, Paul.
Love,
Terri in Joburg

15:21  
Blogger City Wiccan said...

Boredom is a strange phenomenon. I sometimes catch myself in this strange situation. I think with the over-commercialization of culture we've lost touch with creating for the sense of creating. People used to sing around their pianos at home, participate in vaudeville theatre, knit, sew (although crafting has made a comeback) . . . I think somehow people think now they have to have to spend money to have fun.

02:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home